• Ted here...thanks for visiting. Want to join us? We are a very open community and you don't have to worry about other people judging you here.

When Will Our Govt Stop Ignoring That Marijuana Is A Major Regulation Success Story?

HiFlyer

Recruit
Registered
From National Memo

When Will Our Govt Stop Ignoring That Marijuana Is A Major Regulation Success Story?

Speaking recently at the Heritage Foundation, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said that the Justice Department is “reviewing” an Obama administration memorandum that calls for the agency to take a largely “hands-off’ approach to states that are regulating adult marijuana use.

“We are reviewing that policy. We haven’t changed it, but we are reviewing it,” Rosenstein said. “We’re looking at the states that have legalized or decriminalized marijuana, trying to evaluate what the impact is. And I think there is some pretty significant evidence that marijuana turns out to be more harmful than a lot of people anticipated, and it’s more difficult to regulate than I think was contemplated ideally by some of those states.”

But a review of the available health and safety data clearly says otherwise.

Contrary to the fears of some, reforms to states’ marijuana laws are not adversely associated with changes in teen use rates, traffic safety, workplace performance, or overall crime.

State-specific data from Colorado, Oregon and Washington finds that adolescents’ use of marijuana has generally declined in the years following legalization. These statewide trends mimic national trends. According to the 2016 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, the percentage of teens currently using cannabis has fallen 21 percent since 2002. Perceived marijuana accessamong teens, as well as the percentage of adolescents seeking treatment for cannabis abuse, has also fallen dramatically in recent years.

Recent studies also find no ill effects on traffic safety. According to a 2016 study, medical cannabis legalization is associated with a reduction in traffic fatalities, particularly among those between the ages of 25 and 44. A 2017 study published in the American Journal of Public Health similarly reported “no significant association between recreational marijuana legalization in Washington and Colorado and subsequent changes in motor vehicle fatality rates in the first three years after recreational marijuana legalization.… “[W]e also found no association between recreational marijuana legalization and total crash rates when analyzing available state-reported nonfatal crash statistics.”

More:

Lymmie

Casual
Staff member
Admin
Global Moderator
Verified
Registered
Id believe it about the traffic safety. While i tried to drive high only once. I was going 20mph under the speed limit. The only danger that day was to a bag of chips. My brother however does dabs and drives as if he is perfectly sober. Its truly remarkable lol.

HiFlyer

Recruit
Registered
Makes me think of old Gallagher bit where he says grass high drivers are very careful. Can picture his routine as he pretends to lean out window & yell to other drivers, "I'm going to turn now..." lol

Personally, don't think good idea. If do get pulled over (broken taillight, accident totally caused by other...) you'll get busted f/ DUI. Not worth risk.