• Ted here...thanks for visiting. Want to join us? We are a very open community and you don't have to worry about other people judging you here.

Question About Old Seeds Not Stored Properly

FatFreddy

Recruit
Registered
It`s possible they will grow but the fresher the seed the more likely they will germinate, I have a fruit and veg garden and often use seed well past use before date with no problem. I do store my seed in cool conditions and I know people who store their weed seed in a fridge or freezer. Maybe put your seed in the fridge for a couple of weeks before you try to germinate as this is said to simulate the winter period.

Ted

Old Member
Admin
It`s possible they will grow but the fresher the seed the more likely they will germinate, I have a fruit and veg garden and often use seed well past use before date with no problem. I do store my seed in cool conditions and I know people who store their weed seed in a fridge or freezer. Maybe put your seed in the fridge for a couple of weeks before you try to germinate as this is said to simulate the winter period.
Your answer reminds me of the world seed bank in Norway. Not to hijack the conversation, but I think it brings up a very important topic on how to properly store your seeds. A great example is that massive seed bank. Great answer as well and I hope others will come on in and lend a thought.

Jeff

Registered
I agree with u all. I've actually grown seed as old as 10yrs. But I always store mine in glass jars in a dark cool place. Here in Tn. Where it's almost impossible to get new seeds it has been very important to store previous yr. Seeds. But a cool dry dark place is best

Peer345

Weed doctor
Registered
True a dark and cold place is better for your seeds, but you can prepare your seeds with are not stored the right way! The outside of the seed can be prepared with paper you use to wood before you paint your wooden shelves. Sorry I don’t know the word for that paper, the idea is to make the outside of the seed less hard. Then put the seeds 24 hours in water and then in a wet towel so they sprout better. Give it a try. Later Peer

AKA Jose

Recruit
Registered
I have successfully stored garden seeds such as tomato, peppers, okra and corn in a freezer for over a year. And had no problem with germinating in a warm sunny spot on a damp paper towel. However, my growing ability is nil, and could not keep them alive long enough to build/get into a hydroponics system.
edit. seeds were unopened and resealed in larger airtight package. Suspect they would keep for quite a few years this way.