1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Ted here...thanks for visiting. Want to join us? No emails, no newsletter, no logging IP and you can delete your account at anytime. No strings attached. We are a very open community.
    Dismiss Notice

A2A Medical Cannabis For PTSD

Discussion in 'Medical & Health' started by livgunther, Aug 22, 2017.

1. livgunther

Registered

My dad is an ex-serviceman. He was in the army. He is having a hard time readjusting to the life out of the military. He is affected by combat stress and pain caused by his memories. When nightmares and panic attacks became his daily routine I took him to a clinic in Toronto, where they offer medical marijuana services for PTSD symptoms and stress disorders. This is helping. I didn't think medical cannabis had this much effects in healing pain and stress. He is perfectly happy with the care and treatments. Although medical marijuana is pretty common in so many places, this is kind of new practice in our neighborhood. Everyone is enquiring about the other advantages and possible side effects by marijuana. My dad uses a vaporizer to inhale the medicated vapor. Could anyone explain about the other ways and methods to intake cannabis? He vomited the first time he inhaled cannabis. I contacted his physician and he said it is perfectly OK. What are the other likely symptoms he would experience? He doesn’t even smoke. This whole thing is new for him. Kindly share your first time experience and side effects from cannabis. Thank you.

2. Ted

Ted My Friends Call Me Ted
    Admin

Twitter:
    @tedsmarijuana
    Hi, @livgunther and thanks for asking this. I just finished almost 21 years and it's a very different world transitioning to civilian life. I am still struggling so I can only imagine how he is coping. He could try edibles, but there is a big difference from smoking or vaping marijuana. With edibles, the liver processes it and releases a chemical called #tetrahydrocannabinol which is like a much different and more concentrated high.

Some people choose to use it this way instead of the traditional joint. He might be able to go this route, but he needs to try small amounts and work his way up. I hope this helps open the ideas a bit more and he can find some kind of relaxation from it. PTSD is certainly nothing to scoff at and I have too many friends that are looking for ways to cope with this kind of mental anxiety. Best wishes for you and the family.

3. Lymmie

Lymmie Casual
    Staff Member Admin Global Moderator Verified Registered

Twitter:
    @lymsleia327
    Hey there. So your dad puked because the vaporizers are EXTREMELY concentrated. Usually 70-90 percent THC and made with vegetable glycerine or propylene glycol. Both of them are safe but depending on which one it is more agitating to the throat. The propylene glycol to me felt like i was inhaling cotton balls. Its a strange sensation as it coats your throat. I usually made quite an odd sound while exhaling. I much preferred vegetable glycerine. It is a liquified organic chemical that is used to make cake icing. It makes your vape taste sweeter but it gums up your heating element quickly with carbon due to a high sugar content so most people dont use it. You may try asking if they know which of those two your dads vape is and what strength of oil is in it. Is it disposable or is it refillable? ID recommend getting a water pipe and some flower. Something around 10-20 percent THC. You can also go on www.leafly.com and type in his condition PTSD into the search and it will pull up strains of cannabis that are effective in treating PTSD. Welcome and let us know how it goes.

4. johnlevy

johnlevy Meh
    Registered

Medical marijuana is best to treat PTSD.

5. SirRipToken

Registered

You could try edibles as mentioned above. Perhaps baby steps like cannabis infused tea could help as well.

In all honesty, when it comes to overcoming something like this, it's a very progressive process. Getting your father used to cannabis and in the right mindset is going to be the most crucial step.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. johnlevy

johnlevy Meh
    Registered

Yes, i read an article where some scientists are claiming that marijuana helps for curing PTSD. well, it's a natural herb and its full potential is still unknown. some scientists are also saying that it also helps in treating cancer. but in my view proper care should be taken while using this medicine, because excessive use make a person addicted to this.

7. Lymmie

Lymmie Casual
    Staff Member Admin Global Moderator Verified Registered

Twitter:
    @lymsleia327
    Im going to have to respectuflly disagree. There is nothing in or about cannabis that makes it addictive. You will not have withdrawals or cravings if you decide to stop. Theonly addiction is a potential mental one which would have nothing to do with the drug itself but your own psyche and addictive personality. There has never been a weed "junkie" or "addict" that goes and robs a bank or a store to feed his weed habit. =)