1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Ted here...thanks for visiting. Want to join us? No emails, no newsletter, no logging IP and you can delete your account at anytime. No strings attached. We are a very open community.
    Dismiss Notice

Pests Little Critters In Grow Medium

Discussion in 'Sickness, Pests & Problems' started by FatFreddy, Oct 14, 2016.

1. FatFreddy

FatFreddy Recruit
    Registered

Hi, Can anyone confirm the nature of these bugs the number of which has increased dramatically since i gave my plants a top dressing of nutrimate and ecocharge. They were there before in smaller numbers unless they were hiding. plants look healthy but the one with the largest infestation is significantly smaller and looks to have a less vigorous root system. From my search of the net they look to be springtails which some say are beneficial.The plant which is most affected is the one centre forward, all healthy but as i said this one is not so vigorous yet it was the strongest plant to begin with. DSC_1831.JPG P1010510.JPG

2. Lymmie

Lymmie Casual
    Staff Member Admin Global Moderator Verified Registered

Twitter:
    @lymsleia327
    Hey there. Dont know if you still use the forums but you have me super curious here. Did you ever find out what they were? How did your girls turn out? And please tell me more about that system there it looks super clean and simple!?

3. FatFreddy

FatFreddy Recruit
    Registered

Hi Lymmie, They are spring tails, they didn't effect the grow and I got some very nice bud from those girls. I am using autopot 2.2 gallon system with airdomes. I make my own organic mix and they are only fed rain water apart from a fortnightly feed of molasses and seaweed extract during flowering. Check out my latest grow with autopot single XL pots (6.6 gal) below. These girls are twelve days into flower 4x CBD cush 2xcbd durban and 2 urban poison all from Nirvana seeds, I used the manifold technique with these girls with mixed results and some serious stretching going on with one of the cush plants. Oh and i am using budmaster LED`s 2x XG6.One thing I dont have is extraction although I do have ductted air heating which helps with air circulation, also I use a dehumidifier to keep the humidity around 55%. P1010522.JPG
    As you say a simple system and the only problems i have had are the very occasional overflow when a valve sticks. I will post an update with pics closer to harvest time. P1010528.JPG

4. Jeff

Jeff Member
    Registered

Ground zero for prohibition unfortunately
    Twitter:
    @Jbreeden2006
    Those bugs probably came from ur grow material. And they say there beneficial but smokin bug crap sux lol for personal it doesn't matter don't think

5. FatFreddy

FatFreddy Recruit
    Registered

I actually put "bug crap" in my grow mix, or insect frass as the suppliers call it. It is supposed to give a boost to plant growth, I can`t say if it has any beneficial effects though as I would need to do a test but my plants are healthy enough.
    Latest pic of plants with six weeks left to harvest attached.
    link with details of product. Ecothrive | Charge

Attached Files:

6. Jeff

Jeff Member
    Registered

Twitter:
    @Jbreeden2006
    Lookin good Freddy. Sounds like ur doin alot of High CBD strains this grow, that's cool. Are u doin that for a medicinal reason? If u don't mind me asking. I'm going other route and trying high THC strains this time. Gonna do some experimenting gonna see if Autos are as strong as Photoperiods have White Widow Auto fem and White Widow photo fem. Just like to know the truth about them. Grew both but never side by side comparison.

7. FatFreddy

FatFreddy Recruit
    Registered

Hi Jeff, I have been making canna salves with high THC low CBD strains as I suffer with psoriasis and arthritis, or it could be psoriatic arthritis lol. Others have tried them with good results but its not been enough to clear my symptoms so as Nirvana (my usual source for seeds) recently introduced some high CBD strains i thought I would give them a try. I have also done a few grows with autos with great success, i am considering going over to just autos for indoor growing as they finish that much earlier and if done right give an excellent harvest. I have done both autos and fem white widow and loved them both. I do want to do an aurora indica grow which is a potent high resin strain and try producing Rick Simpsons oil using rosin plates and a press for solvent free oil as i have a friend with cancer of the prostate.
    When I was young I smoked to get high now as I age I find this plant provides for most of my growing need for medicinal compounds.
    A wonderful plant demonized by our greedy and ignorant global political power structure, although cracks are starting to appear. By the way where is ground zero for prohibition?

8. Jeff

Jeff Member
    Registered

Twitter:
    @Jbreeden2006
    I suffer from the same Freddy! Arthritis sux lol and I'm like u when young smoked for the buzz now more for pain an other stuff. People who haven't tried it or only tried it once need to reevaluate what this wonderful weed is all about it's a godsend to people like us who understand the benefits. I'll have to give chocolate haze from Dutch Passion good marks for Arthritis problems I've been looking at some Sativa/Sativa hybrids from Ace seeds such as Malawi, Panama, and Golden dragon wanna get some of those Sativa genes into my strain I've been working on for a few yrs now pretty much all indica so far, gonna try and pick a very high CBD strain in to. Got a lot of diff Auto strains I'm gonna try out during the course of 2017 got a mini seed bank going on lol got a lil carried away with bean buying lmao gonna start auto grow with White Widow Autos from Seedsman, NYC Deisel Autos from Barney's farm and Auto Mazar from Dutch Passion I think that'll be a good lil mix I'll post some pics ltr when I get it going hopefully will be stay able to get it done

9. FatFreddy

FatFreddy Recruit
    Registered

My nephew who is 20 years old and loves weed has told me off for buying seeds, got around 150 :eek: so he might have a point. I just can`t resist buying the nirvana specials, I used to visit their trade outlet in Amsterdam when I was there and before it closed down, great customer service even buying online. Its a different world from when I was young and I think the message is getting out that cannabis is more than just a weed that kids like to get high on, in the UK we have cannabis clubs now and the police are much less heavy handed with cannabis users in general. Durham PCC Ron Hogg relaxes prosecutions for cannabis users - BBC News
    Thanks for the tip I will take a look at the chocolate haze.