• Ted here...thanks for visiting. Want to join us? We are a very open community and you don't have to worry about other people judging you here.

Sativa Harsh Smoke/bad Trip

yman173

Meh
Registered
So, I tried Super Lemon Haze for the first time last night. And it was the absolute worst trip I've ever had with any MJ before. The smoke was harsh and made both my throat & lungs actually burn, and then I had a panic attack that lasted at least a couple of hours. It was the first time I've had this reaction to any strain before ever....and I only took one bong rip.

Researching it today, I found out this is a Sativa strain, and as someone who has anxiety & panic problems to begin with that explains my bad reaction. I smoke mostly Indica or Indica-dominant hybrids normally. But the harshness...I've never experienced that with any strain in my life.

Obviously I'm staying away from sativas in general from now on, but are there any others I should steer clear of? I have a friend who's growing AK48 which is a hybrid but is sativa-dominant...would that affect me in a similar way? And that harshness...I swear I thought my lungs were gonna burn up. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I like relaxing, happy, munchie type of highs, which is what I'm used to. In 20yrs of smoking this is only the second time I've had such a bad, hyper trip. Anyone else have any bad trip stories? Any recommendations of strains to steer clear of so I don't have such an unpleasant experience again?

Peace.

FatFreddy

Recruit
Registered
Sounds like your weed may not have been properly dried/cured and it does say of this strain that it may not be for those who are wound up-tight. It is rare to come across a pure Indica or Sativa strain these days as most are hybrids. Seems a shame to me to limit yourself to Indicas. Hawaii maui waui is a good example of a not too overpowering Sativa. You say you just took one bong rip but that is a powerful way to imbibe, a joint lets you take a gentle hit while checking out whether that strain is going to hit the spot. As for panic attacks, if I find myself with someone who is beginning to panic a quiet place and reassurance helps and avoid situations that accentuate the feeling of fear. Apparently sniffing or chewing on black pepper corns is also said to level you out.

Jeff

Registered
I've heard CBD sprays or anything CBD will help alleviate the THC effects and yeah Fred ur right hard to find a pure strain nowadays I love hybrids though get best of both worlds

Cudzu

Verified
Registered
Everyone DNA is unique.
Expect a unique encounter.

Like going to the doctor... Try this, try that.
GL

SimonMoon

Meh
Registered
The harshness of the smoke has nothing, or little to do with the strain. while terpenes are what give distinct taste and smell, these are not what cause harshness and neither are any of the cannabinoids.
There are three main causes for a harsh taste:
  1. Badly grown - overfed and not properly flushed
  2. Pest Problem - moldy, rotten or infested
  3. Bad Post Harvest Process - drying, curing, storage, fermentation
Most of the time it is 3. A lot of commercial (legal or not) growers rush it and try to get their product out as quickly as they can. Omiting what it necessary to make a good and consistent product.
Proper drying, curing and fermentation takes time. at least a month to have the minimum of quality and up to six month for connoisseur grade quality. During that time, it has to be stored in a dark, cool and dry place and inside the container should be around 65% humidity. The containers need to be vented occasionally - less and less the longer the process progresses; mainly to release humidity and add some oxygen for the microbials to break down the chlorophyll and make good and smooth tasting sugars out of them.
So don't blame the strain, for what the strain is not responsible.

About the trip... well, if you are used to indica, a haze may be a bit much to deal with. Dosage is important here, especially at night! But that is not true for all sativas. the effect of a strain (or rather of it's particular phenotypes) is composed by a mix of over 107 (currently known) cannabinoids inside of her. many of which interact with each other. It is the reason we even have that many strains with distinct smells, tastes, effects etc. And then there is the individual interaction with out own highly complex endocannabinoid system we hardly even understand. I have a friend who regularly crashes on haze, but is perfectly fine with any other sativa, or even most haze hybrids.
And as i said, even different phenotypes might have different effects.

Don't judge a strain by one bad experience, from an obviously mediocre product (it would not taste harsh if it were good quality). Maybe find a better supplier, or if it is your own grow, flush, dry, cure and ferment properly.

FredyJohnSmith

Meh
Registered
Great info "SimonMoon" Yup that's true, it's not the strain. It's the foreign elements & inefficient grow technique that make your experience worst.

Ada_Wong

Meh
Registered
So, I tried Super Lemon Haze for the first time last night. And it was the absolute worst trip I've ever had with any MJ before. The smoke was harsh and made both my throat & lungs actually burn, and then I had a panic attack that lasted at least a couple of hours. It was the first time I've had this reaction to any strain before ever....and I only took one bong rip.

Researching it today, I found out this is a Sativa strain, and as someone who has anxiety & panic problems to begin with that explains my bad reaction. I smoke mostly Indica or Indica-dominant hybrids normally. But the harshness...I've never experienced that with any strain in my life.

Obviously I'm staying away from sativas in general from now on, but are there any others I should steer clear of? I have a friend who's growing AK48 which is a hybrid but is sativa-dominant...would that affect me in a similar way? And that harshness...I swear I thought my lungs were gonna burn up. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I like relaxing, happy, munchie type of highs, which is what I'm used to. In 20yrs of smoking this is only the second time I've had such a bad, hyper trip. Anyone else have any bad trip stories? Any recommendations of strains to steer clear of so I don't have such an unpleasant experience again?

Peace.
I know how you feel. I've tried it too and it hardly goes through your throat.

Peer345

Weed doctor
Registered
Maybe there was a some Poison left on the plant did you bought the weed or made it your self. The big criminal companies do anything to save there crop ! That made you feel so bad normally such a heavy reaction is not normal for weed there must be something else what made this happen to you

Arlo55

Meh
Registered

Peace.
I know how you feel. I've tried it too and it hardly goes through your throat.