1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Ted here...thanks for visiting. Want to join us? No emails, no newsletter, no logging IP and you can delete your account at anytime. No strings attached. We are a very open community.
    Dismiss Notice

Gov Walker’s Plan To Drug Test Food Stamp Applicants Would Be Wasteful, Ineffective And Perhaps Unco

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by HiFlyer, Dec 31, 2017.

1. HiFlyer

HiFlyer Recruit
    Registered

Governor Scott Walker announced plans to make Wisconsin the first U.S. state to drug test individuals applying for food stamps. Not only has drug testing people applying for public assistance proven to be ineffective, it is also often unconstitutional. The practice disproportionately impacts the poor and communities of color. It also stigmatizes those who need help, especially in a state like Wisconsin where only 23% of people who need addiction treatment actually receive it.

More:
    Governor Walker’s Plan to Drug Test Food Stamp Applicants Would Be Wasteful, Ineffective and Perhaps Unconstitutional #DrugPolicyAlliance

2. Ted

Ted My Friends Call Me Ted
    Admin

Twitter:
    @tedsmarijuana
    This is something conservatives have been drooling over for decades to get those pesky poor people off the government tit. It's a sad day for sure and half of the US really is excited to read stuff like this. The really bad part is if this will become a domino effect and other states to implement this. It is very common to see something radical get passed like this and testing out the waters before it spreads. Shame on Scott Walker, but I honestly expect nothing less. Elections are coming...

3. HiFlyer

HiFlyer Recruit
    Registered

It was implemented in Florida couple years ago and was a fiscal failure. I think the percentage of welfare recipients testing positive was less than 1%. Conservatives are poor at admitting a plan is a failure if it's part of their ideological bent.

4. Ted

Ted My Friends Call Me Ted
    Admin

Twitter:
    @tedsmarijuana
    Florida is in sad shape for a lot of things. My family lives down there and wanted me to move alongside them. There is no way that would ever happen with the shit I have seen and heard that goes on there. Jacksonville is nice to visit but never to live. Your example is one of many failures, unfortunately. Maybe they will eventually wise up and start voting for people who make a little more sense.

5. Lymmie

Lymmie Casual
    Staff Member Admin Global Moderator Verified Registered

Twitter:
    @lymsleia327
    Florida is the walmart of america. If florida starts making sense things will be really bad off =P