• Ted here...thanks for visiting. Want to join us? We are a very open community and you don't have to worry about other people judging you here.

Finding Investors For Your Cannabis Business

Cash Cow Cannabis

Recruit
Registered
On top of cannabis being a giant grey area of legal craziness I'm talking with some entrepreneurs who find it difficult to raise capital (unless you are hooked up by snoop) Does any one think that crowd funding works with this industry? or do crowd funding websites just ban that kind of business from the get go?

Ted

Old Member
Admin
Personally, I feel a lot of it is the risk. Snoop can afford a mistake with 1 investment. The bigger issue is that while illegal federally, it's legal at the state level for some. That comes with a huge risk of loss. So the investors are out there, there just isn't many of them as there would be in Silicon Valley for a huge new app. I am connected a large investment social group and I would be happy to ask the question.

I don't know the rules about Kickstarter or GoFundMe, but I would be willing to bet that they are not 420 friendly. I think this is a good question and I will see what I can find out for you. What type of products or services are you primarily thinking?

Cash Cow Cannabis

Recruit
Registered
I think this is a good question and I will see what I can find out for you. What type of products or services are you primarily thinking?

Thanks Ted if be very interested to know what your investment group thinks! I'm thinking more about smartphone apps or B2C websites. Companies that don't handle cannabis directly.

Ted

Old Member
Admin
True, but companies like Paypal won't touch anything that is about cannabis. It's the entire conumdrum about how I would take money for anything I could sell through here like t-shirts. Visa and Mastercard might be good but you still have to find a processing company to take funds. This is the portion of the business that is the most difficult. Maybe someone will come along and enlighten us. I would very much like to know too.

friendswithbears

Registered
You can use bitcoin :) That way you don't need a processing company, you can just take transactions right into your personal wallet and it's all peer-to-peer.

There are also P2P bitcoin lending/crowdfunding platforms out there where you could raise funds. Try BTCjam for P2P lending. I don't know what their policies are like but it's definitely a new option that didn't exist a few years back.

You will need an account with a bitcoin exchange like QuadrigaCX to exchange your bitcoin into USD or CAD which can then be deposited into your regular bank account and vice versa.

FWB

Ted

Old Member
Admin
The insight on BitCoin was a worthy read. I can appreciate new technology and how it will change the landscape of business and freedom to buy and sell something without involving traditional banking or credit services. We are a long way from this being the norm, but I learned a lot from @friendswithbears post.

John W Cox

Meh
Registered
How does someone who has grown marijuana for over 3/4 of their life get some investors to invest in them? I read that credit union & the cannabis business is starting to do business. But that still makes it hard for upstart with nothing more than his or her green thumb that god gave them the gift to grow it and grow it the way it should be grown. I am looking for someone to go in with or invest in grow op where we all could benefit from it I am not in for the money or glory. I would like to keep it a small business and help out the people who really need it but can't afford it. I remember when I was young and telling everybody that would listen that one day it would be legal and I would be growing it for them all did was laugh and say I was crazy. I knew that would do more for than get you high because it is a herb and god put everything here for a reason either to kill you or to help you in one way or the other. I have over 35+ years growing cannabis,marijuana,weed or what ever you wish to call it and I still learn something every time I grow a crop. I hope you all have a nice and safe weekend. senghunter

Ted

Old Member
Admin
@John W Cox that's a tough question to answer and a lot of things are at play here. First, I haven't heard of credit unions investing. Is there a source for that? If not I will look it up afterwards. Investing is just business with more risk. A business needs a plan, reasonable research that shows time to profit and then the right place and making sure you have people that know what they need to do. You need someone to run it, someone to grow (you) and other people like accountants and so on. The only way I would imagine an investor would say "here you go" really depends on how lined up the concept is.

Eventually if this community does become a larger one I will have a section for job, investing, and other needs so these answers can be solved quicker. In the meantime I knew a guy like you and he lives in Rhode Island, got busted for growing, RI went medical, and he got a grow license. Weird circle, but you have to know what the rules are and see if it's nothing more than a license.

John W Cox

Meh
Registered
Thank's Ted I see what you are saying and I do thank you and everyone for your help and I will check on everything that you have said. I will have to wait and see if the state where I live at ever becomes legal or not. I sure do hope so and if so maybe all I will need is a grow license and I will be able to grow it for a few people. I don't get on my pc every day like I used to but I will try and check in on you and everyone else every day as much as I can. Thank you again and peace and keep it green always. I hope you and everyone has a safe and great week ahead. senghunter

Ted

Old Member
Admin
Perfectly reasonable John. I know people are busy and I don't ever expect to see all the members each day, but I hope many like yourself come back from time to time. I also hope that we will have more information that you can execute with. I don't have the specifics in what you are asking, but I am good in business. I have always excelled in it so I am excited when I see people asking about how they get into it. Take your time do the research you need and if you find the answer before someone else here does please consider sharing it so there is another piece of the puzzle for others that come along the way.