• Ted here...thanks for visiting. Want to join us? We are a very open community and you don't have to worry about other people judging you here.

Do Politics Change Your Views About Friends?

Would you end a friendship over opposing views?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ted

My Friends Call Me Ted
Admin
I am in just a mood I guess. I have absorbed so much over the last 6 months in politics. Social media posts, conversations in person or phone, and seeing the ideas that connected with people. It was this piece that made me ask a deeper question that might not have been the best to think about. If I am a #progressive and I have a set of beliefs of say ABC, and a close friend of mine has an opposing view of XYZ, should we be friends?

I have always tried to keep politics from breaking up relationships, but this cycle was and is the worst. People might say that every election, but this one personally was a major outlook change. Social media was rough to endure. I saw friends and family say some amazingly horrible things. Others said very nice things as well. It was all on display and the internet is forever.

The problem I now have is if I should continue the relationships with those that do not share the same values as I do? I feel like it should affect that bond, but there are some that I certainly feel differently about. There was a lot of horrible things said and even thoughts that were shared that made me rethink that friendship.

I am very open-minded and I didn't #unfriend anyone or break up with my wife over anything. Those posts though were rough to read. The topic didn't matter, it was all the pro-war, pro-gun, pro-banks, pro-everything that helps the ultra rich. There are so many people in my circle that vote against their own interests. I am a bit mixed up on this. I could probably delete half of my friends and be fine, but I didn't. I hated before, but I forced myself to read books, listen to the other side, take inventory on what policies fit my beliefs and so on.

What about you?

Jeff

Registered
Something I try to keep in mind. An old country saying I overheard my grandpa say when I was a kid. Lol illnever forget it, my grandpa was a man of few words. This comment was one of the most poetic real things I ever heard him say. He said opinions are like assholes lol everybody has one some are just louder than others. Country wisdom lmao

Ted

My Friends Call Me Ted
Admin
I can certainly agree with that statement and it holds true on politics, religion, and other hot topics. I have been pushed to the edge by this election cycle, and I am sure many others have as well. I have unfollowed some Facebook friends, but I wouldn't unfriend them. Sometimes you just have to control the message people want to put into your daily content cycle and I have to filter it heavy.

Jeff

Registered
I did exactly the same on Twitter I like politics but not constantly figure I can refollow after maybe next spring re-election and swearing in of president lol seriously

Cudzu

Staff member
Global Moderator
Verified
Registered
If a "friend", then one has accepted them as is.
Live and let live.
Pursuit of happiness.

My thoughts of wisdom...
"If you ain't the Lead dog on a sleigh team...
THE SCENERY NEVER CHANGES."