1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Ted here...thanks for visiting. Want to join us? No emails, no newsletter, no logging IP and you can delete your account at anytime. No strings attached. We are a very open community.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Politics Change Your Views About Friends?

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Ted, Jul 27, 2016.

?

Would you end a friendship over opposing views?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ted

Ted My Friends Call Me Ted
    Admin

Twitter:
    @tedsmarijuana
    I am in just a mood I guess. I have absorbed so much over the last 6 months in politics. Social media posts, conversations in person or phone, and seeing the ideas that connected with people. It was this piece that made me ask a deeper question that might not have been the best to think about. If I am a #progressive and I have a set of beliefs of say ABC, and a close friend of mine has an opposing view of XYZ, should we be friends?

I have always tried to keep politics from breaking up relationships, but this cycle was and is the worst. People might say that every election, but this one personally was a major outlook change. Social media was rough to endure. I saw friends and family say some amazingly horrible things. Others said very nice things as well. It was all on display and the internet is forever.

The problem I now have is if I should continue the relationships with those that do not share the same values as I do? I feel like it should affect that bond, but there are some that I certainly feel differently about. There was a lot of horrible things said and even thoughts that were shared that made me rethink that friendship.

I am very open-minded and I didn't #unfriend anyone or break up with my wife over anything. Those posts though were rough to read. The topic didn't matter, it was all the pro-war, pro-gun, pro-banks, pro-everything that helps the ultra rich. There are so many people in my circle that vote against their own interests. I am a bit mixed up on this. I could probably delete half of my friends and be fine, but I didn't. I hated before, but I forced myself to read books, listen to the other side, take inventory on what policies fit my beliefs and so on.

What about you?

2. Jeff

Jeff Member
    Registered

Ground zero for prohibition unfortunately
    Twitter:
    @Jbreeden2006
    Something I try to keep in mind. An old country saying I overheard my grandpa say when I was a kid. Lol illnever forget it, my grandpa was a man of few words. This comment was one of the most poetic real things I ever heard him say. He said opinions are like assholes lol everybody has one some are just louder than others. Country wisdom lmao

3. Ted

Ted My Friends Call Me Ted
    Admin

Twitter:
    @tedsmarijuana
    I can certainly agree with that statement and it holds true on politics, religion, and other hot topics. I have been pushed to the edge by this election cycle, and I am sure many others have as well. I have unfollowed some Facebook friends, but I wouldn't unfriend them. Sometimes you just have to control the message people want to put into your daily content cycle and I have to filter it heavy.

4. Jeff

Jeff Member
    Registered

Ground zero for prohibition unfortunately
    Twitter:
    @Jbreeden2006
    I did exactly the same on Twitter I like politics but not constantly figure I can refollow after maybe next spring re-election and swearing in of president lol seriously

5. Cudzu

Cudzu Member
    Staff Member Global Moderator Verified Registered

If a "friend", then one has accepted them as is.
    Live and let live.
    Pursuit of happiness.

My thoughts of wisdom...
    "If you ain't the Lead dog on a sleigh team...
    THE SCENERY NEVER CHANGES."