• Ted here...thanks for visiting. Want to join us? We are a very open community and you don't have to worry about other people judging you here.

Advice Dispensary Owners: What Is Your #1 Piece Of Advice For Someone Looking To Start Their Own Dispenary?

Mike O'Brien

helping dispensaries do ecommerce legally
Registered
I am looking to build a resource page with a bunch of awesome advice on getting a dispensary started. I find that the best information is spread out super thin, on a thousand different sites, so I want to get it all into one spot. Also, I would like to open my own one day. So...

What is the #1 most important piece of advice that you would give to someone who is starting their own dispensary?

If you have 2 or 3, share em :)

Cudzu

Staff member
Global Moderator
Verified
Registered
  1. Location
  2. Location
  3. Location.
I see two business paths, from a deep South perspective.

Path A. A clean, quiet, plain store, located out of the main flow. A desirable clientele with repeat loyal customers. Repeat requests for inventory flow and forecasting sales.

Path B. Main flow placement. Unknown customer base, unknown inventory forecast, Flash sales & Drive thru services. (When you're hot....ur hot, and when you're not?)
Vulnerable to competition next door with a bigger brighter sign. Taxes.​

For a small southern town, I would expect the community to better receive,
Path A.
(not next to a church or school)

For larger cities, both paths appear viable choices.

It's your choice. It's your community.

My choice would be , "Slow & Steady," wins the race. (Hair vs Tortoise)
I would concentrate on disability and aged customers. (Baby Boomers a plenty)
A social center for snacks, coffee and commodity.
Training for newbies.
Cooking classes.
Growing classes.
Tours.
Supporting hardware for the above.

(I'm hearing the song, "Wildwood Flower" ....while sitting on this sack of seed.)

Good luck.

(I should copy this for a business plan, head for finance and launch a community franchise business. I Forgot.... federal prohibition)

Mike O'Brien

Registered
Dude, awesome info. Thank you! Totally agree with the Path A for southern towns or any not-super-liberal towns or cities.

If you're down to be interviewed for an article, I'd love to get more info so we can teach more people :) Lemme know, yo!

Cudzu

Staff member
Global Moderator
Verified
Registered
High time tweet had a good article today. The rural impact of rural gro farms.

Interviews? You ain't got enough memory storage for my plethora of disinformation. Rolf.

My father worked for Kress Stores. He was the trouble shooter. Axe man. Make profit or else.

He could sell anyone anything, I feel.
The best compliment I overheard to dad, was a Jewish store owner,
"The only gentile he had ever known, who could Jew a Jew."
Funny in Miami 1960.

(Fast forward 50 years later where my best friend says, "You could sell chicken shit. ")

So I went home, shoveled a bag, trucked down to flea market, instant sale, and gave him the $5, I made.
We both rolled laughing.

Last edited:

Mike O'Brien

Registered
hahaha sounds like you and my dad would get along great. if you ever feel like speading your knowledge lemme know :D

Cudzu

Staff member
Global Moderator
Verified
Registered
In the 80s, I took notice of the newly developing web, Basic HTML text.
Advertisement was non existent.
So, an opportunity Forseen, I created a small corporation. I made the wife president. (Female, minority and disability)
(Plus points for federal vendor sources)

The wife was a graphics artist and talented.
I was hardware technical.
I met an attorney who had a server as a 2nd income source and probably a write off for taxes.

He needed us, we needed him.

So, we started a "Bring me 2 new customers and get yours half price.". Like bogo.

A pyramid effect occurred.
I was Overwhelmed by business in the first month and all customers were Attorneys, wanting a web presence.
(I always had free legal advice.)

A few years later, Microsoft drag n drop web creation appeared.
When your hot, your hot.

Last edited:

Cudzu

Staff member
Global Moderator
Verified
Registered
hahaha sounds like you and my dad would get along great. if you ever feel like speading your knowledge lemme know :D
I am sharing now.

I go to my fav vapin'shop and watch.
An "Up" will come in and look about with cluelessness for making or asking a question.
The counter clerk is fumbling around with someone else.
What would YOU do?
You bust a move.
Seize an opportunity for sales.
Introduce yourself as a non employee.
Ask the UP questions?
Fluff the UP and send them to checkout.
Later,
Hit the clerk up for an employee discount.

Win, win

(UP is a term many car salesmans use to describe a new WALK UP customer.)

Cudzu

Staff member
Global Moderator
Verified
Registered
Currently, Hybridized cannabis, caught my attention.
I found new sciences in work, much like the 80s interest.

The medical cannabis research has found Terpenes with temperature controlled release.
I foresee, (sure ur stoned), genetic engineering to provide organic sources for new medicines.
What if, a tomato that fights cancer and pain?
A carrot that helps glaucoma?
Kudzu that gets u buzzed.

Get ready.

Pot_Valet

Recruit
Verified Business
Registered
Wow! Very thankful to came across this page. Learned a lot of advise and info for those who wanted to establish their own dispensary. Cannabis can really go a long way!
Thanks guys!