1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Ted here...thanks for visiting. Want to join us? No emails, no newsletter, no logging IP and you can delete your account at anytime. No strings attached. We are a very open community.
    Dismiss Notice

Correctly Manage Your U.S. Tax Withholdings

Discussion in 'Family' started by Ted, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Ted

Ted Just Adam, AKA, Ted
    Admin

Twitter:
    @tedsmarijuana
    This is due to the chat we had yesterday. Some people just float by with a Single and 0 dependents on their #W-4. Stop doing it today if you don't need a tax return. Maybe their is a lien on your tax return and every year you are putting wasted money in Uncle Sam's pockets just to find out someone took it after filing. That fucking sucks!

When I got my real first job I was told by those a few years more experienced than myself to immediately go change my withholdings from single and 0, to single and 1. I saw more money in my pay and didn't owe the #IRS when I filed. Sure, there was no big $4,000 return, but there shouldn't be.

Here is the IRS W-4 Withholdings page on it. Please get your information from the source and make sure you know what you are doing.

If you overpay you are giving the government a tax-free loan. You might be able to increase your pay a bit by doing this so you can maximize your money. Maybe you don't mind pay extra. What if I told you that you could make the changes and use the extra money from the bump to purchase more shares in a mutual fund or start an IRA? At least you will then get something more with the market. You get no interest on your loan to Uncle Sam and this way you can grow your savings or money even if it's only $20/month.

First, here is a reasonable primer on how to maximize your tax return.

Here is a video on the withholdings part:

I hope this tip helps you and if I missed anything please add it in a reply so we can keep the conversation going.

Edit: I am not a tax professional, lawyer, or anything else. Just a dude that claims M2.

#1 Ted, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  2. JointVenturesTV

JointVenturesTV Seedling
    Registered

Twitter:
    @https://twitter.com/JointVenturesTV
    Cool and informative thread you might want to include a little disclosure since we live in a litigious society.