• Ted here...thanks for visiting. Want to join us? We are a very open community and you don't have to worry about other people judging you here.

Cannabix Technologies Developing Hand-held Cannabis Breathalyzer

happy-Dayz

Meh
Registered
http://cannabisincanada.CA/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/cannabreathlyzer-759x500.jpg
I still can not get over this, it just designed to detect THC in drivers, there is so many other things they should be looking for. If you want to check it out CLICK HERE

I would love to hear what you all think of this.

erikjanus

President, M³ Technical & Regulatory Services, LLC
Registered
So, there are all KINDS of issues with this... the two main ones in the mind of this regulatory scientist are:

(1) The psychactive cannabinoids that one would use as a biomarker of effect are not soluble in water. They are soluble in fat. Take a look here to learn a little more about this idea. Saliva is a less than ideal matrix from which to sample fat-soluble molecules using a "breathalyzer" type device. This simple physicochemical property of the cannabinoids makes simple, non-invasive and reliable detection very difficult.

(2) The random level of detection chosen by Colorado is meaningless as predictor of impaired driving. While the state has defended its choice of 2-5 nanograms per milliliter of blood as corresponding to roughly a 0.05-0.08 "blood alcohol content," I find this claim dubious and I have not seen the state "show its work" on this.
upload_2016-2-14_12-52-33.png

Eisenberg, E., Ogintz, M., & Almog, S. (2014). The pharmacokinetics, efficacy, safety, and ease of use of a novel portable metered-dose cannabis inhaler in patients with chronic neuropathic pain: a phase 1a study. Journal of Pain & Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy, 28(3), 216–25. http://doi.org/10.3109/15360288.2014.941130

On the contrary, this recent pharmacokinetic data from a single inhalation dose shows that within an hour, most users are back to single digit ng/mL blood concentrations in less than an hour following exposure (and continue to drop after that). However, everyone's physiology is different and there is variation in clearance time across individuals.

While there have been studies that show that high doses of cannabis can impair driving (doses one would take to get high), there are absolutely NO studies looking at low-dose exposures (such as medical cannabis users would experience).

Simply put, we don't have the evidence to say a few ng/mL of THC in serum impairs driving and thus should be a health effect-associated regulatory level of substance. However, once one state comes with a level like this, other states tend to follow.

~~ The CannaBiologist

happy-Dayz

Meh
Registered
To start off AMAZING post Erikjanus. Thank you for taking the time to gather more info regarding this topic. I have went through and read every thing you have posted, very good read. I have also found I have learned a lot more regarding this again Erikjanus!