1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Ted here...thanks for visiting. Want to join us? No emails, no newsletter, no logging IP and you can delete your account at anytime. No strings attached. We are a very open community.
    Dismiss Notice

Oils & Butter Cannabis Infused Coconut Oil

Discussion in 'Edibles - Cooking, Baking & Mixing' started by friendswithbears, Sep 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. friendswithbears

Registered

Twitter:
    @democracybear
    I would highly recommend you skip the cannabutter next time you make edibles and use organic unrefined coconut oil instead.

It swaps out pretty much 1:1 with any butter recipe and tastes delicious.

Nutiva is the best brand of Coconut oil.

In fact, my favourite use of infused coconut oil is stirring it into my morning coffee instead of the same old boring cream and sugar. If you want to go really crazy with it, mix in some MCT oil for an added kick.

How to make (quick run down):

Ingredients and tools:
    1 oz of dried flowers
    1 lb of pure, unrefined and organic coconut oil
    4 litre cooking pot
    1 container larger enough to hold the water,cannabis,oil mixture at the end

1. Fill the pot about 3/4 full with cold water, place on stove, and bring to a boil.

2. Use a blender or sharp knife to chop up the buds into pebble sized bits (do not turn into powder).

3. Once water reaches just below boiling point add the chopped flowers to the water and reduce the heat to simmer. Be careful that the water isn't too hot or else you'll lose potency in your finished product.

4. Simmer uncovered on the lowest possible heat for at least 1 hour or until the majority of the wet flowers start to sink to the bottom when you stir the pot.

5. Add your coconut oil and stir.

6. You'll want to stay close by the pot to stir it often so the mixture doesn't burn or boil.

7. Continue to stir for as long as you can handle it! The longer you let the oils infuse with the bud, the better you final product will be. When I make my own recipe I typically let it simmer in the oil for an average of 5-6 hours.

8. When you've had enough of waiting and stirring or when the buds sink to the bottom after your stir the pot you can remove it from the heat. Cover and let cool on the stove.

9. Once it's cool put the whole pot in the fridge and let the oil harden. The water will sink to the bottom with the wet plant matter, while the deliciously green oil will float to the top and form a nice disk.

10. Cut the disk out carefully and slowly remelt in a fresh pot being careful not to overheat the oil. You can toss the water and wet plant matter. Once the oil is melted allow to cool and then serve.

Let me know if you have any question!

FWB

2. Jeff

Jeff Member
    Registered

Twitter:
    @Jbreeden2006
    Thx for sharing! I can see this being added to alot of dishes. Have any thoughts on potency or effects or suggested serving size? To me being in a prohibition state edibles are not an everyday way to medicate and it's very interesting.

3. friendswithbears

Registered

Twitter:
    @democracybear
    You can pretty much add it to any dish that calls for butter. In fact, my girlfriend and I don't even use butter for any of the cooking we do anymore, infused or not.

Potency: It depends on the quality of the cannabis you use. Some people choose to use top shelf flowers while other choose to use bottom bag crumbles. Alternatively, if you use a vaporizer you can use the flowers you've already vaped. It also depends on the care you take while heating the mixture. If it is cooked it too fast or the mixture is allowed to boil, potency will be lost. If you use high quality cannabis to make the oil it will be really strong. However, even oil made with bottom bag or trim will be pretty powerful as well.

Effects: Edibles are unlike your classic toke. They come on slow and last a lot longer. It's best if to try a very small amount at first and slowly increase the amount until you find a good dosage. The effects are felt more in the body, than in the head (if that makes sense). Great for people fighting chronic pain or for anyone who needs the longer effects that eating cannabis provides. For the rec user it can be a pretty good time if you're planning on doing some serious Netflix-and-chill :)

Suggested Serving Size: That depends on your tolerance. Start slow and ease your way into it. Too many edibles can lead to a very uncomfortable few hours. It is really, really common for people to make some cannacookies, eat one, feel nothing after 20 minutes, eat another, and another, and then an hour later it all comes on at once.

Sometime soon I'd love to make a how-to video to show the whole process from start to finish.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Jeff

Jeff Member
    Registered

Twitter:
    @Jbreeden2006
    Well it's almost harvest time for me so I'm gonna make some Cannabutter so I'll give this a go. And now I'm wondering about fresh bud instead of dryedcured bet it would leave green flavor ever tried with greenery?

5. friendswithbears

Registered

Twitter:
    @democracybear
    Nice! Let us know how it turns out :D

I would highly recommend at least drying the flowers first before using them to cook with. It would also be best cure them as well, but that's just one bears opinion. Using fresh bud would leave you with a harshly green tasting final product. If you do it properly it should be a light green colour and look something like this:

6. Jeff

Jeff Member
    Registered

Twitter:
    @Jbreeden2006
    Ok lol was joking bout the green bud. But I've gotta bunch of recipes me and my wife have collected over the yrs. Will definitely be trying it in something. Actually skimmed by a shrimp recipe might a great addition.thx again

7. friendswithbears

Registered

Twitter:
    @democracybear
    Haha you just want to start cooking with it right away;)

It would be so good in a shrimp dish!

Let us know how it turns out.

FWB

8. edlentz

edlentz Meh
    Registered

Just a quick question. New user. I made some of this and I put it into capsules for my dog, she has bad hips. I am considering using it in dog cookies that I bake. My question is: Will baking at 350 be detrimental to the potency of the oil?

Thanks

9. Lymmie

Lymmie Casual
    Staff Member Admin Global Moderator Verified Registered

Twitter:
    @lymsleia327
    Hi Ed. Welcome to the community. Some people do not like to add water to the mix, but I do. Especially on the stovetop, the water will help things infuse at a lower temperature and avoid things burning and scorching which will result in unappetizing taste and THC that’s rendered useless by being cooked at too high a temperature. The water also helps with appearance and flavor by washing away some of the green color and strong herbal flavor.
    Generally speaking, lower cooking temperatures are better. THC is completely degraded at temperatures in excess of 392 degrees F although it starts to break down long before that. Since water boiling never gets above 212 degrees F, I always recommend adding water when making cannabis infusions (see point 2 above). You will also need to pay attention to cooking temperatures when using the infused butter and oils, or when cooking with marijuana concentrates. Do not use infused marijuana oils for direct sautéing for frying. If you are making something battered, make sure the medicated part is inside the batter. You can cook at oven temperatures up to 375 degrees F, as the food itself will not get that hot.