1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Ted here...thanks for visiting. Want to join us? No emails, no newsletter, no logging IP and you can delete your account at anytime. No strings attached. We are a very open community.
    Dismiss Notice

Forum Bounced Emails, Being Anonymous & Security

Discussion in 'Ted's Ramblings' started by Ted, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Ted

Ted My Friends Call Me Ted
    Admin

Twitter:
    @tedsmarijuana
    I want to open this up saying that I hate giving my email out to people. There is one thing I am grateful for though. When I was a teenager I always had to go get the mail out of the box. Snail mail SPAM was a huge thing back then. We had to manually dispose of it and much hopefully has returned to the earth in landfills by now, but takes resources. Resources to send, deliver, receive, and throw away. Email SPAM is a delete button. How lucky are we? Well that depends on whether or not you lived through physical SPAM or not.

Here's the deal though, as much as you hate giving me your email, I hate taking your email. I don't want it, but what can I do? I suppose I could start over and build Reddit but that's not where I am. I don't want your personal information. I want just enough so you can be you (or not), and enough to where I have some level of security.

I don't even love sending newsletters, but I have to. It's the only way for me to get members to come back and remember they signed up. So you can see I have a crossroads. I don't market it to you, sell your information, or anything else. Your email is for you to login, reset a password, and to receive 1-2 newsletters from me a month. You can delete both if you choose to.

This week I removed 115 bounced emails to inactive. That wasted those folks that responded on Twitter, Nikki's efforts to set up the accounts, and my time for inactivating them. If you are one of those 115 and want to give me a real email address I will be happy to fix it for you. That's the bounced ones.

Then there is the unsubscribes, but these I honestly have little feeling about. You have every right to opt out of the newsletter. It's an option during registration and your preferences for a reason. You don't like emails from me then cool. I just hate when it's marked as SPAM or unsubscribed through the email. Amazon uses it as a trust measure and each time it happens it hurts my standing. That is the only issue I have with the 37 of you that took that road. So I have 37 marks against my account.

The SPAM marks are the ones that are like a gun to the head of an Amazon account. The 5 people who mark it as and said to Amazon that I am a Spammer are jerks. I perma-banned them. They may never use my community again for the level of disrespect.

I know, "Damn Ted, you're getting all emotional about emailos and shit". Ya, I am. I don't want to be though. I would rather you be anonymous and remember to come back once in a while to say hi. Nikki asked yesterday about getting enough new members yesterday for the site. I told her that I honestly don't have a hard number for her to sign up. I only want people who want to be a part of this. Numbers don't mean shit if they never show up. I could just script a addon that makes tens of thousands of accounts and brag about the numbers.

100 members that sign up and never contribute mean nothing. I would rather have 5 that contribute and back a few times a month. I want you to know that if you think I have something to sell you, want to sell your information, or have an agenda...I don't. I mapped out my intent in this ramble to help you understand my goal.

Pivot to Another Ramble

No ads, no sponsors, no affiliates was my last ramble. How will I make money? Bitcoin donations, selling merch, maybe running a 24-hour telethon or something creative. I have thought about user upgrades or business upgrades like offering a signature link or something in return for money. My costs are low for now. Here is what I pay for:

Server: $70/month
    Nikki: Salary not disclosed, but well compensated for her time, and volunteers a lot!
    Designer: $10-$200/month depending on workload
    Licenses for Software: Avg $50/month

That's it. Only Nikki and I run all of the social media pages. She gives probably 60-100 hours a week I am willing to bet. She is amazing and deserves a boatload of credit. I pay the expenses myself for now. I don't know if this site will go under my currently LLC or if I will setup a separate one for it.

You need this full context to know what my angle is. I don't need much to cover my expenses. Maybe a few dollars to take the Mrs out for a nice dinner to make up for the hours I put in, but that's about it.

So when you ask why I need your email, this is why. I don't want it, but it's how the software works. I have the check box for you to post anonymously if need be. Anonymous posting works fine on 4chan. I am not like the other cannabis websites. That's the ramble. If you read to this point thank you for your time. It's valued.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Mimzy

Mimzy Meh
    Registered

I know how much work these things are- kudos and keep at it.

3. Vapepen

Vapepen Seedling
    Registered

Emails are the most valuable commodity out there for any website owner. It just is important to have real emails, once you do, you have that person for life. The most important thing is, you are building niched emails. You need to have an opt-in email subscription to win free marijuana gear, maybe even GEO target coupons from local dispensaries. The opportunities are endless using emails.

4. Ted

Admin

Twitter:
    @tedsmarijuana
    I reversed this decision a few months ago. We tried it for a while and it didn't really make sense as people need reminders so I turned it back on. I should probably update or delete this. I understand email marketing very well though.

5. Vapepen

Vapepen Seedling
    Registered

It is never a good idea to ever delete content from your website unless it is useless. However this can be used to help others understand emailing and the stresses about it. Sending an email out for something worthwhile isn't spamming at all. IMO if you offer a tangible product or intangible reward to a lucky subscriber sending is limitless. I typically send an email 3 times a month just to showcase new products. I always add a free item and announce one subscriber they have won the newest vape that just came out. I then syndicate the subscribers winnings to social media platforms and if mailchimp finds their social media page, I will tag them of what they one and expect them to see a new vape in their mailbox. Even the people that didn't win love it! it brings the value of your list up a lot.

Things people would consider spam would be updates of a sites activities. If a webmaster wants to do this, they should simply build a monthly summary of all the new features and activities executed with a story to it.

6. Ted

Admin

Twitter:
    @tedsmarijuana
    I am with you on this completely and I have been very successful in email marketing for the past 5 years. I did it for privacy reasons and to keep things easier for everyone. It wasn't because it wasn't doing well. I had a lot of people who wanted more discretion and this time I am rebuilding the list differently. I only consider deleting content when it's no longer applicable or adds confusion...which this kind of does since the policy has been reversed.