• Ted here...thanks for visiting. Want to join us? We are a very open community and you don't have to worry about other people judging you here.

Everything All Your Data Is In Your Control, Your Move

Ted

Old Member
Admin
I have been thinking about doing this for the last 2 years. I have asked myself, "Do I keep a strict policy of real email confirmations or throw it aside and let it be about the content and not the people?". I want it all, but many of you don't. I have to respect that. I had good intentions to limit the "bad people", but I realize that the wall I built kept many from being a part of this. You may live in a country that gives the death penalty for smoking a joint. Maybe you just don't want your family to know.

After 2 years or so I have been asked to delete too many accounts in fear of being found. I love these people that give even a thought to click through to TMF and I want them to be who they want to be. If I need to trade off something in order to meet them half way then so be it. I would rather have a community that feels safe enough to come here and contribute or just lurk. I heard many of you and today I am removing the wall for those that want to be able to do with it as you wish. Here is the list of changes effective immediately:

Effective Immediately
  • No options defaulted to yes on registration. [Done]
  • No IP logging [Done]
  • No email confirmation needed. If you choose not to use a functioning email address then you will not be able to recover your account. This is just like Reddit's policy. [Done]
  • No welcome email, only a welcome conversation [Done]
  • No more newsletters [Done]
  • Guests with ReCaptcha [Done]
  • We will not show online users [Done]
  • User activity will no longer show [Almost Done]
  • No more birthdays [Done]
  • No more reminder emails after you have been gone for a while. [Done]
  • No more email subscriptions to top threads or anything else. [Done]
Optional
  • Use your real email [Done]
  • Use your real birthday [Done]
  • Receive emails when someone replies to conversations. [Done]
  • Watch threads you start or reply to. [Done]
  • Allow anyone to view your profile or identity. [Done]
  • Delete your account if you want without anyone's permission. This is 100% non-recoverable. [Done]
Reverts
  • Deleted all new letter lists [Done]
  • Disabled Amazon SES email service [Done]
  • Removed all types of email services [Done]
No Change
  • No signatures [Done]
You can see the screenshot of the admin panel for some of these changes. These were on by default.

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 6.34.49 PM.png

I don't want your information. I just want you and your content. If you really can't or don't want to be here then delete your own account. I won't intervene and I won't log you. This was never about collecting data.

I am 50% finished UN-doing a lot of the things I instituted. In the next 24 hours I will have this all in place. I hope that everyone will help me push this out to people that want to be a part of this in a discreet way. I will update this as it happens. Feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Last edited:

ThasMe

Meh
Registered
I didnt sign up right away, because I didnt feel safe, as most boards I log into, due to the nature of the topic. I have been around, in other community boards, and through normal life, to understand the risks, and hope the people that do come here to undo the lives of folks, realize their intentions are not solving any issue harming the public. If anything, we are, in our own way, looking to have safer lives, without interjecting any public issues, or enforcement. We keep hidden, because of those folks, and the laws they make and uphold. As those fade away, so will our disguised veneer. We will one day, be able to talk, trade and help each other, make our own world's better. Until then, it's safer under the covers.

Reactions: Ted

Ted

Old Member
Admin
I didnt sign up right away, because I didnt feel safe, as most boards I log into, due to the nature of the topic. I have been around, in other community boards, and through normal life, to understand the risks, and hope the people that do come here to undo the lives of folks, realize their intentions are not solving any issue harming the public. If anything, we are, in our own way, looking to have safer lives, without interjecting any public issues, or enforcement. We keep hidden, because of those folks, and the laws they make and uphold. As those fade away, so will our disguised veneer. We will one day, be able to talk, trade and help each other, make our own world's better. Until then, it's safer under the covers.
I value your input and I do hope that this will encourage many others to come here and feel safe and not to worry about a trail or anything else. People have jobs, family, and many other things in life to be concerned about and I don't want TMF to be one of them. I will continue to improve the freedom and choices for each member here over the next few weeks. I just want people to come here knowing that there are no bad intentions on my side and that I want them for their contributions to something and not their identifying information for ad sales. I hope this will help people come in and feel safe.

Stone Face

Meh
Registered
Yeah.... This place is nice. Love the site and members are great. There are lots of threads to read and very informative as well. ;)

Reactions: Ted

Ted

Old Member
Admin
I enjoy coming here each day to see how things are going and I just needed to make a decision on what is more important. It's just starting and will get better as I fine tune more of the granular permissions. Your suggestions are welcome at any time if you find something that can be improved on. Thank you for using the community!

Ted

Old Member
Admin
It's been some time since I did this and I wanted to post a follow-up. I like these options, but I think some need to change. I don't wish to track anyone, sell anyone's data or anything of the sort. One thing I want to do is communicate with the membership base. I want people to get emails when there is a reply or to verify accounts. I need to reduce spam and email helps. I am unsure if I will ever bring back newsletters, but I am reconsidering enabling all emails to be verified and you can opt-in to getting email notification.

I am open to feedback before I make any of these changes. I need to engage the community and it's not happening due to these heavy handed changes. I plan on dialing this back so engagement might increase. Again, I still don't want your data. I want your engagement because that helps create a community.